Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The lucky American women!

Oprah's favorite quote "If you are an American woman, you are already lucky". Well I disagree. Why? Simply because being the mother of a bubbly 17 month old fire-cracker, I can't imagine how it would be manage everything else on my own. Feeding, bathing, playing, changing endless numbers of nappies, ensuring that she's not putting her leg, head or hand in some God forbidden place, fitting in quality time, piggy back rides- the list goes on and on, there is NO rest for a mother! Parenting is THE single most gratifying job in the whole world but accept it, sometimes, just sometimes, you want to simply be able to sit down and rest your head against a soft pillow without a care in the world! I now have somebody to mop the house, a nanny(who is a God-send) to take care of Lisa and a cook to take care of the cumbersome Indian cooking. And what do I do? Well, I get back home, spend 2 or 3 hours (which is all I get) with my lovely daughter before she gets to bed. Then offcourse, there are endless odd jobs to do- laundry, dust the shelves/house, keep a track of Lisa's "outgrown clothes", grocery shopping, fret about the fused bulb (in the bathrooms) or the unkept kitchen shelves etc etc etc (why am I even rambling about this)!! So now you know ladies why I say "If you are an Indian woman, you are probably the luckiest". And if you don't fall into this category, take my advise and get the help, atleast till it lasts!
I started the day pretty bad, simply because I refused to wake up on time. End result- No parking space on MG Road at 9am and close to no parking on Brunton Road. I had almost given up after driving to the end of Brunton road, but lo and behold, there was just ONE spot reserved for me! So although, I was exasperated at the lack of parking space, I did find one. The day could've been worse, right? What else did I do- helped my friend buy a lovely dress for her friends 10 month old daughter and also realised that the lingerie section in Central has been "phased out". "Phased out" ! What is that supposed to mean? The Bangalore woman no long cares for the ridiculously expensive sheer lingerie line? Or does the recent survey (which my dear husband announced to me) in UK about the priorities of women hold good here too? Mobile phones to men!